AFRODAD has an opening for Head of Programmes! This position requires an individual who is highly focused and willing to fill a challenging yet very fulfilling position. Please read through and if you think you are the person we are looking for, send your application to the address provided at the bottom. Let's hear from you today!
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to play a leadership role in a cutting-edge development finance network. You will lead AFRODAD’s policy research, advocacy and thematic team to deliver specific yet transformative policy changes on critically important development finance issues, including: debt management, domestic resource mobilization and international public finance.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience of delivering advocacy wins, and will be an excellent, results-oriented staff manager, focused on building the capacity of colleagues to deliver on AFRODAD Strategic objectives. They will be an excellent communicator in English and French, with highly developed and convincing presentational skills, allied to a first-class ability to write for a variety of audiences. They will have an important role in supporting fundraising, including implementing and renewing existing grants.
The Head of Programmes is the Chief Technical Adviser and lead the Programmes Team of AFRODAD. S/he will be a dynamic and highly motivated professional with significant programming experience taking responsibility for managing the development, implementation, and monitoring of the AFRODAD strategies and activities, as well as contribute to global knowledge-sharing in areas of Debt Management, Domestic Resource Mobilisation and International Public Finance.
S/he will interact at global as well as regional and country levels with a wide range of people within and outside the African Union, across member states and civil society as well as with the many other stakeholders in AFRODAD Partnership. The position requires excellent technical and programming design judgement, proven fundraising ability, strong interpersonal diplomatic skills, problem solving capability, advocacy and an aptitude for partnership development. This should be underpinned with an analytical mind, clear writing skills and ability to distil strategic debates and options.
The Head of Programmes will lead and supervise a Programmes Team of several Senior Policy Analysts and also work in close collaboration with members of the Finance and Administration team, and external stakeholders and partners to ensure scaling-up of AFRODAD work on the continent.
- A graduate degree in Economics or a Master’s Degree in Economics or any Social Science.
- Proven academic background and publishing.
- Political change expert able to identify and define specific but transformative policy changes, and work out who and how and to influence to deliver them.
- Over 5 years of programming experience in a variety of programmes
- Understanding of key debates and issues in development finance
- Proven ability to fundraise or support fundraising.
- Over 5 years’ experience in creating policy change working with civil society organisations, including developing and implementing advocacy or campaigns strategies, working to influence the media, other CSOs, officials, politicians and other targets
- Minimum 5 years’ experience writing articles, reports, briefings, op eds that have reached a wide variety of audiences
- Human Resource Management
- Experience with engaging in Pan-African environments will be an advantage.
Fluency in oral and written English is required, working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- Desirable experience
Experience of developing and implementing initiatives to build capacity of staff, and support organisational development
- In depth understanding of a range of development finance issues.
The Executive Director African Forum and Network on Debt and Development (AFRODAD)
31 Atkinson Drive Hillside PO Box CY1517 Causeway, Harare
Closing date: Open until filled!