The seat for a Policy Analyst under the Domestic Resource Mobilisation is vacant! AFRODAD is therefore looking for a qualified candidate to occupy it. The incumbent will play a dynamic role and will be based in any of the 5 African regions.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience of delivering advocacy wins, and will be an excellent, results-oriented staff manager, focused on building the capacity of colleagues to deliver on AFRODAD Strategic objectives. S/he will be an excellent communicator in English and French, with highly developed and convincing presentational skills, allied to a first class ability to write for a variety of audiences. They will have an important role in supporting fundraising, including implementing and renewing existing grants. The holder of this position would be based in either of the five regions of the African Continent (North, West, South Central and Eastern), working under the supervision of the Senior Policy Analyst. The successful candidate would be required to undertake duties as set out below:
Policy Analysis and Research
- Coordinate research and documentation in the relevant thematic areas of AFRODAD work of Domestic Resource Mobilisation.
- Produce Policy Briefs, Discussion Papers, Occasional/Working Papers, Position Papers on the above mentioned thematic areas in Africa in order to establish evidence-based dialogues on best practices with stakeholders.
- Manage external consultants and also directly deliver delegated policy and research as identified in the annual work plan
- Contribute to AFRODAD publications (including the bi-annual issues paper, AFRODAD newsletters, blogs, news articles and policy briefs)
- Contribute to relevant thematic policy debates and discussions ensuring AFRODAD has increasing policy influence.
Developing and maintaining relationships with partners
- Represent AFRODAD at relevant networks, workshops, seminars and policy events relevant to AFRODAD’s work in Africa and beyond
- Build and maintain strategic and cooperative relationships with key CSO leaders, partners and networks in Africa and engage these individuals and organizations on a regular basis to gather their feedback and input to the planning, implementation and tracking of results.
- Provide technical support and oversight in the design and delivery of key activities to support the identification of strategic spaces for AFRODAD engagement and develop a plan of action to support these engagements in close consultation with the Head of Programmes.
Programme Planning, Coordination and Reporting
- Design and develop annual work plans for the programme to ensure delivery of all advocacy and research themes within the required timeframe.
- Contribute to the organization of international, regional and national events, and global movement and constituency building work.
- Manage contracts with consultants and other service supplier’s within your programme
- Work with the finance staff to ensure programme financial information is up to date, variances are identified and recommendations for action made
- Produce regular programme reports as per the work plan.
- Coordinate overall thematic programme to ensure key performance indicators are met and programme impact is in line with AFRODAD strategy.
Supporting Information and communications needs
- Work closely with communications team to share information on AFRODAD’s Strategic themes and programme impact
- Support sharing of information between AFRODAD secretariat and partners across Africa Securing project/programme funding
Securing project/programme funding
- Identify and track emerging funding opportunities through AFRODAD funding strategy and action plan
- Contribute to design and development of funding proposals
- Support AFRODAD colleagues in delivering the organizations collective objectives, including assisting in events and initiatives that fall outside the direct responsibilities of this post
- Represent AFRODAD at meetings, functions and events, some of which may occur outside normal office hours and may involve long-distance travel
- Coordinate activities of Programme Interns
- Perform any other reasonable duties and tasks as requested by the Head of Programmes
Role Related Experience, Skills And Knowledge Essential skills
- Proven academic background and publishing.
- Minimum of a Masters Degree in economics or any social science.
- Political change expert able to identify and define specific but transformative policy changes, and work out who and how and to influence to deliver them
- Excellent communicator in English and French, with highly developed and convincing presentational skills, allied to a first class ability to write for a variety of audiences
- Organised and efficient
Essential experience and knowledge
- Over 3 years experience in creating policy change working with civil society organisations, including developing and implementing advocacy or campaigns strategies, working to influence the media, other CSOs, officials, politicians and other targets
- Minimum 3 years experience writing articles, reports, briefings, op eds, etc that have reached a wide variety of audiences
- Understanding of key debates and issues in development finance
The Executive Director African Forum and Network on Debt and Development (AFRODAD) 31 Atkinson Drive Hillside PO Box CY1517 Causeway Harare.
Closing date: Open until filled.