The African Forum and Network on Debt and Development (AFRODAD) is a Pan-African civil society organisation established in 1996 to advocate for debt cancellation and addressing debt related issues in Africa. Our vision is “A Prosperous Africa based on an equitable and sustainable development”, and our mission is “To contribute to Africa’s inclusive economic growth and sustainable development through influencing policy change on debt management and development finance anchored on a rights-based approach”.
AFRODAD is concerned with ensuring that the African continent does not slide back into being heavily indebted and is focused on influencing African governments to institute and implement policies and practices for sustainable development and eradication of poverty through development and implementation of sustainable debt policies; transparent, accountable and efficient mechanisms for mobilisation and utilisation of domestic resources; and effective use of international public finance.
Objectives of the Assignment
The overall purpose of the project is to strengthen the policies and procedures manual that governs administrative, finance, and human resources activities. The policies and procedures are aimed at providing the guideline and steps to be taken for consultants and employees to meet their organisational expectations. The project is expected to update policies and procedures in line with changing operating environments, the new strategic plan, as well as enhanced reflection on our organisational values.
The specific objectives of the study are to:
- Review the current policies and procedures regarding Finance, Human Resources, Procurement, Travel, Communications and Media, as well as Office facilities
- Assess the challenges and limitations of the current manual and introduce policies and procedures to address these challenges and limitation
Scope of Work
- Assess the current Human Resources policies and procedures, their challenges, limitations, and relevance, then make recommendations regarding the following components:
- Leave applications and processes; appraisal forms and processes appropriate for different portfolios and levels of positions based on the organogram; recruitment guidelines and steps; and employment and consultancy contracts and records, including length of contracts, probations, expectations, and obligations in line with organisation policies and values as well as governing laws and regulations; staff development (plans and activities);
- Review codes of conduct including policies and procedures on complaints handling, anti-bullying and harassment, and disciplinary actions:
- Officialising languages of communication for all organisation activities and publications as English and French.
2. Review Finance policies regarding the following:
- Designated approval levels; budgets development and management; projects management (fundraising, donor reporting and project close out); Property management (assets registers and disposal procedures); Expenditure and payments; and Management Reports (books of accounts, payroll administration, and audits).
- Review Procurement policies and procedures regarding the following:
- Quotations; pre-qualifications; emergency procurement, and timelines.
3.Review of Travel and Subsistence policies and procedures regarding the following:
- Per diems, acquittals, contingency, expenses, and types of travel.
4. Establish guidelines and approaches of ICT equipment and systems regarding the following:
- Advanced/progressive equipment; maintenance and repairs.
5.Provisions of Organisation facilities including the following:
- Head office, as well as remote offices and workstation.
Results and Expected Outcomes
The outcome of this task (consultation project) will supplement the already existing manual on all policies and processes that govern the organisation. The outcomes of the consultancy should include an assessment of the organisation’s governance systems and recommendations for improved policies and procedures.
- An assessment of all mentioned policies and procedures as well as one on one sessions with organisation staff
- An assessment report detailing current policies and procedures and their challenges and limitations
- A draft structure detailing recommendations and redevelopments
- A final manual incorporating feedback and recommendations.
Approach and Methodology
Literature Review and Qualitative and/ quantitative Analysis – Consultant to include their methodology of review and analysis.
The study should be completed by 12 February 2021.
The consultant will report to the Executive Director. However, for day-to-day activities the consultant shall work closely with the Finance and Administration Manager.
The Consultants should have skills and experience in the following areas:
- Over 10 years’ experience in Human Resources management
- A strong understanding of Administrative activities and how they align to organisation policies and governing laws and regulations
- A good understanding of Financial management as well as knowledge on accounting standards such as IFRS and GAAP
- At least 5 years’ experience in playing advisory or participatory roles in organisation Innovation strategies and corporate governance
- Research/communication skills and experience, with working with civil society
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills
- Lead consultant should have a Masters’ degree or higher in Strategic Management, Business Management, Business Leadership or Human Resources
- Consultant’s understanding of the task and methodology
- Financial Proposal
- At least 3 references for similar work especially in NGO sector
*Photo by ANEEJ